St. Patrick's Day Recipe Tips by Coco Peate
Happy St. Patricks' Day!
I love that you don’t have to be Irish to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, that’s for sure! It’s a great holiday for fun and games. It's one of those days that everyone can enjoy and be a little green!
I've been thinking about healthy snack and recipe ideas for celebrating this holiday with your family, check them out below.
Tip 1: Start with Green-Colored Ingredients
- Green Apples
- Green Beans
- Green Chiles
- Green Grapes
- Honeydew Melon
- Spinach Pasta
- Spinach Tortillas
Tip 2: Plan a green meal. Just add a dab of green food coloring to some your favorite soft-textured foods. Here are some suggestions:
- Alfredo Sauce
- Cake Frosting (white/light colored)
- Cottage Cheese
- Cream Cheese
- Deviled Eggs (add green dye to yolk mixture)
- Low Fat Vanilla Pudding
- Low Fat Vanilla Yogurt
- Vanilla Frozen Yogurt
- Mac & Cheese (with a white cheddar sauce)
- Vanilla or Banana Milkshakes
- Mashed Potatoes
- Ranch Dressing
- Pasta Salad
- Pesto Sauce
- Potato Salad
- Scrambled Eggs
- Sour Cream (for garnishes)
- White Gravy
- Whipped Cream (low fat)
Tip 3: Serve Green-Colored Recipes/Foods
- Leafy Salads
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Spinach Ravioli (with a cheese sauce)
- Spinach Dip (with green veggies)
- Spinach Soup
- Spinach Tortillas (as wraps)
- Green Fruit Pops
- Green Colored Smoothies or Shakes. This site has some great ideas.
- Whip up a batch of sugar cookies, adding a couple of drops of green food coloring to the dough. Try substituting 1/2 of the white flour with wheat flour.
- For a healthier alternative to corned beef and cabbage, try these two recipes at Healthyrecipeoftheweek.com and www.dailyspark.com.